Wedding Attire Do’s & Don’ts | Kendal Perry
I know finding the perfect outfit to wear to your friend’s wedding is tough. Everyone always wants to look stylish, comfy and appropriate for the wedding. I’m here to give you a few tips on what to wear to your upcoming weddings based on the venue and time of day!
First things first, check on the couple’s wedding website or invitation if they have a requested attire for their guests. This is something that I typically recommend to my clients to add to their website. Whether it’s casual or black tie, it’s good to let the guests know what is appropriate for the wedding. Below are the different options that are typically added to the website or invitation
- Casual or “Daytime”: No shorts, jeans or tank tops but anything else is typically acceptable. I always suggest a cute summer dress for the ladies and dress pants or khakis with a button up for the gents.
- Beach Formal: Most ladies tend to wear a flowy and comfortable summer dress with sandals and for the guys, khakis and a light polo style shirt.
- Cocktail Attire: This option I find is the most popular for most of my clients. For the ladies, a nice cocktail dress with a pair of heels and for the gents, a suit and tie.
- Black Tie Optional: This option is a little more formal. For the ladies, a very nice cocktail dress or floor length gown. For the gents, a formal dark suit or a tuxedo. Quick tip: Before wearing a tuxedo to a wedding, always check to see if the groom and father of the bride are wearing a tuxedo too. You never want to be dresser than those important men!
- Black Tie: Most ladies will wear a floor length formal gowns accompanied with her date in a formal tuxedo.
If it is not listed by the couple, look at the time of day the wedding. Weddings before 4:00pm fall into the casual and daytime category, so a light and airy summer dress for the girls and casual khakis and button up for the guys. If it’s an evening wedding and not specified on the invitation, head over to the Cocktail Attire section. Men in a suit and ladies in a nice dress is always a safe option for your evening weddings.
Next, look at the venue you’re attending the wedding at. Some churches have a specific dress code, such as length of ladies dresses and coverage up top so be sure to do some research. Now, if the venue is outside or at a barn, something a little more casual is accepted. Helpful tip: Be sure to think about the weather too. If the wedding is outside in the sun, probably a dark suit jacket wouldn’t be the best choice for the fellas!
Extra helpful tips!
- ALWAYS leave white for the bride only!! You don’t need to be competing with the most important lady of the night by wearing white to her wedding. It’s definitely her time to shine!!
- No need for your large purse at a wedding! At some weddings you may not even have a seat or table to place your purse at all night. You know you don’t want to be dancing with a few pounds on your shoulder.
- If you still need some help on what to wear, the bridal party or bride’s family members are always helpful people to ask! They will know exactly the style and comfort of the wedding.
If you need help for your upcoming wedding contact me today! I’m available in Birmingham, Alabama and beyond!
Welcome to the KP blog! My name is Kendal and I’m so happy you’re here. It’s been my dream for quite some time to own a wedding planning company and now the time has finally arrived! I am certain that this will be the best journey in life and I’m so excited to finally show you what we’ve been working on for the past few months! Take a look around, love. I can’t wait to meet you!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Hey ladies! We know in the midst of all of the planning and festivities, there is always several tasks that need to be dealt with before the big day. One of the most stressful and off-putting tasks is the dreaded guest list that leaves you with questions like, “Who...
Hi friends!! Today I wanted to chat with you about something we actually don’t ever want to talk about, but really need to, which is how to plan for your wedding day rain plan. Here in Alabama you really never know what’s going to happen. If you chose an all outdoor...